Are you ready for a delicious treat that won't derail your weight loss journey? Say hello to our low-calorie apple pie! 🍏 This warm and comforting dessert is a perfect way to satisfy your sweet cravings without overindulging. We've got some tricks up our sleeves to keep those calories in check while making sure your taste buds are happy. Let's dive in!
- 4-5 medium-sized apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (like stevia or erythritol)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (for thickening)
- 1 pre-made whole wheat pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- A pinch of salt
Mode of preparation:
1. Prepare the Apples: Start by peeling, coring, and slicing your apples. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle the lemon juice over them to prevent browning. Toss the apples to ensure they are evenly coated.
2. Sweeten and Spice: In a separate bowl, mix your granulated sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. This will be your flavorful apple pie filling.
3. Combine and Fill: Add the sweet and spicy mixture to your sliced apples. Gently toss until all the apple slices are well coated. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
4. Preheat and Prepare: While your apple mixture is resting, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
5. Line the Pie Pan: Place your whole wheat pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan. Press it down gently to fit the pan snugly.
6. Fill the Crust: Carefully transfer your apple mixture into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
7. Add the Top Crust (Optional): If you prefer a traditional double-crust apple pie, you can add a second pie crust on top. Make sure to cut a few slits to allow steam to escape while baking. However, for a lower-calorie option, you can skip the top crust altogether.
8. Bake to Perfection: Pop your pie into the preheated oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
9. Cool and Enjoy: Let your pie cool for a bit before slicing. Serve it warm and savor the delightful aroma of baked apples and spices.
Tricks to Keep It Low-Calorie:
Now, let's talk about some clever tricks to keep this apple pie low in calories without sacrificing flavor:
1. Sweetener Swap: Instead of using sugar, we've opted for a granulated sweetener with fewer calories. This reduces the overall calorie count while still providing that sweet taste.
2. Whole Wheat Crust: Choosing a whole wheat pie crust over a traditional one adds a hearty, fiber-rich element to your pie without adding too many extra calories.
3. Portion Control: Remember, moderation is key! Even a healthier dessert like this should be enjoyed in reasonable portions to help you maintain your calorie goals.
4. Skip the Top Crust: By omitting the top crust, you significantly reduce the pie's calorie content while keeping the essence of a delicious apple pie.
5. Cornstarch Thickening: Cornstarch is a lower-calorie thickening agent compared to flour. It helps bind the filling without packing on unnecessary calories.
6. Flavorful Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg provide a burst of flavor without adding calories. They are the secret to making your apple pie taste indulgent.
7. Nutritional Awareness: Keep track of your portion sizes and calories to stay on top of your weight loss journey. A little indulgence is fine, as long as it fits into your daily calorie allowance.
Enjoy a slice of this scrumptious low-calorie apple pie guilt-free, and remember that making mindful choices like these is a key part of your weight loss success. Happy baking and happy, healthy eating! 🥧🍏